Sunday, March 25, 2007

Couscous Salad

I got this one from Everyday Food by Martha Stewart, May 2004, issue #12, Page 20.

Serves 2
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes


3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 cup couscous (I used plain old original...no extra flavors, but feel free to try other kinds)
2 tbs. minced shallot (very small pieces for beginners...hey we were all there once)
1/3 cup golden raisins
3 tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 tbs. olive oil
1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans 15.5 oz.)
1 kirby cucumber cut into 1/4 inch pieces (what is that? I'm not a produce expert, so I got an English cucumber...is that the same thing?)

1. In a small saucepan, bring water, salt and pepper to a boil.

2. Stir in couscous, minced shallots, and golden raisins then remove from heat. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together fresh lemon juice, olive oil, pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Add the chickpeas and couscous flavor packet if there is one, and the kirby cucumber.

3. Toss to combine and then refrigerate in a covered container until ready to eat.

Tips: You can try flavored couscous and let me know how it goes, but I really like the plain couscous, but I will try to add a little more of my own flavoring next time I make it. Maybe some cilantro or fresh herb of some kind. This is a very light and refreshing salad, and was perfect with the spice rubbed chicken we had.

No comments: