Sunday, April 1, 2007

Texas Caviar

I don't know how I can word this, so you'll understand the extent to which I am in love with this recipe. My sister-in-law gave it to me, and that day I made a batch and ate the whole batch. The next day I went to the store purchased the ingredients again, made a second batch and ate that one...needless to say, I made myself sick. So, now whenever I make this I literally have to have my husband give me an intervention after about five minutes, or I'll eat the whole thing. I absolutely cannot stop eating it unless he takes it away from me. I also have the supplies for about three batches "on hand" in my pantry at all times.

1 bunch of green onions (about six pieces)
1 4-5 oz. jar of pimentos
1 4-5 oz. can of chopped black olives
1 4-5 oz. can of chopped jalepenos
1 lb. bag of frozen black eyed peas
1 small Bermuda onion (red onion)
8 oz. (half a bottle) of Kraft "Zesty Italian Salad Dressing"

1. Cook the black eyed peas according to the package.

2. When done, strain black eyed peas and put in a big bowl. While they are still hot poor in the Kraft dressing and mix. Set aside.

3. Chop the Bermuda onion to the size you like...I prefer smaller pieces. Slice the green onions until about half-way down the white part.

4. Put chopped onions and all other ingredients (don't strain the canned or jarred stuff...you'll want the juices) into the bowls with the black eyed peas and mix everything up.

5. Snack on it while it's warm, then put in fridge to chill...you can eat it up to a week later, and all the flavors are nice and mixed together by then.

6. Serve with chips. I like it with Nacho Cheese Doritos, but I recommend you try it with whatever chip you prefer. Also, I love to use this as a salsa on my burritos!

No comments: