Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Mom's Drive-Thru

I've been super busy this week, so I haven't been able to post much, and that's how I thought that maybe I should start this new index item called "Mom's Drive-Thru". I realize that most of us want to share those recipes that make us seem like spectacular cooks, or like there's some secret ingredient or procedure, but most of the week we're probably in the same "what do you want to eat? i don't know what do you want to eat?" boat...that usually docks at the fast food drive-thru. Now, the mom's drive-thru meal isn't such a bad thing, it's mostly a "we have no time to cook, but we want something good to eat" thing. So, I want to share with you some of my drive-thru meals that are big hits with my family and never given the "oh no, meatloaf again" thumbs down...although we all know meatloaf, if done right, isn't the easiest meal to make and is awfully delicious.

So, let me kick off this series with our family's major food staple...don't be shocked or disgusted...TOP RAMEN.

Beginner: Cheesy Ramen

1 packet Ramen
2-4 slices of cheddar cheese
1 1/2 - 1 2/3 cups of water (depending on if you like more or less juice)

1. In a microwave plastic bowl break Ramen in half, fill with water, and add flavor packet. (I sell Tupperware, but I use the 4-cup square Ziploc ones for this recipe...I'll let you know if I find the right size Tupperware though.)

2. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.

3. Stir to break apart noodles and then set slices of cheese on top.

4. Microwave on HIGH for 2 more minutes.

5. Eat!

Tips: When microwaving Ramen only make one packet/one serving at a time.


Intermediate: Meats and Veggie Ramen

1 packet Ramen for each serving
2 cups water for each packet of Ramen
1 Nathan's hotdog for each packet of Ramen (or 2 - 3 slices of pork)
1 - 2 pieces of cabbage (or 6-7 leafs of fresh baby spinach)
1 green onion

1. Slice hot dog into about 8- 10 pieces. Slice green onion. Rinse and break cabbage into bite sized pieces. (This is just prep work, so you aren't frantic while cooking.)

2. Bring water to a boil then add dry noodles, flavor packet, and hot dog slices in saucepan that is a good size for however many servings you are preparing. (If using slices of pork, you'll want to fry them before you start cooking the Ramen, using butter and maybe garlic powder.)

3. Place veggies in the bowl you will be eating out of.

4. Once Ramen has cooked for 3 minutes pour into the bowl with veggies. The veggies will automatically cook from the hot water. Serve.

Tips: Be creative...if you like something that sounds like it would be good with soup and can cook fast...throw it in! Let us know how it turns out. I'm always looking for good ideas, so please post your ideas.

Advanced: Eggie Ramen

1 packet of Ramen
2 cups water per packet of Ramen
1 egg per packet of Ramen

1. Boil water in saucepan.

2. Start stirring water so it is spinning around and crack egg over spinning water.

3. After 1 minute add dry noodles, and flavor packet. Cook for 3 minutes.

4. Serve.

Tips: The boiling shouldn't be too violent, just so you can see smaller bubbles or egg will separate into a ton of pieces. Keep water spinning in circle "gently" while egg cooks...the secret is to be very careful, so the egg doesn't break apart. You can add green onions when your done or whatever other creative ideas you may have.

For all the recipes you can always doctor up the sauce as well. I usually like the sauce as is, but my husband and 10 year old love to put that red Korean hot sauce in. I sometimes like a little garlic for flavor or...I know it sounds gross, but I am half Japanese...sliced fish paste. The thing with Ramen is that it is soup and it takes 3 - 5 minutes to make! So, add what you want...and enjoy!

No comments: