Thursday, June 4, 2009

banana-zucchini bread


This is my favorite bread to make. I was skeptical because I wasn't sure about zucchini bread with the kids and all, but I had to figure something out because our zucchini plant was producing more zucchini than I knew what to do with. I think the zucchini flavor blends perfectly with the other ingredients. We like to slice it in the morning and spread butter on it and then toast it in the toaster oven...it makes a wonderful breakfast!

3 eggs
1 cup applesauce
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 bananas, mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Grease and flour two 8x4 inch bread loaf pans.

3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light yellow and frothy. Add oil, brown sugar, white sugar, grated zucchini, bananas, and vanilla; blend together until well combined.

4. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

5. Gradually add dry mixture to the moist mixture and blend until just mixed...don't over mix.

6. Mix in the cranberries and nuts.

7. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.

8. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool in the loaf pans on a wire rack before removing and serving.

Tips: I just use a regular cheese grater for the zucchini...two small zucchini is about the right amount. Our family is not a big fan of nuts in bread, which I've determined is more of a texture thing than a taste thing. Since we love the extra nutty flavor what I do is just use my chopper and chop the nuts up until they're almost dust...about the texture you find on tops of cinnamon muffins. I also measure out all the ingredients before I start mixing...I feel like the mixture stays more consistent that way.

No comments: