Tuesday, May 1, 2007

My favorite pizza

My family rarely orders pizza for delivery. There is occasion when we'll have pizza out...when we visit New York of course, and if there's a place that offers something "special". As far as a weekly pizza night though, I always make homemade. It tastes so much better, everyone can have the toppings they want and it's about $3 - $5 to make a 12 piece pizza (I use a rectangular shaped stone bar pan). So, make whatever toppings you want...this is a great "you can't go wrong" method of making pizza. I'm going to share my favorite combo with you and maybe you'll try it one of these days.

1 lb. dough
1 tbs. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or more)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or more)
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 hot house tomato, sliced
20-30 baby spinach leaves
24 slices of pepperoni

1. Preheat oven to 400°F

2. Lightly brush pizza stone with olive oil.

3. Roll out dough onto pizza stone.

4. Press garlic into a small prep bowl and add enough olive oil, so it's just coated. Brush the garlic oil over the dough.

5. Bake in oven for 7 minutes.

6. Slice zucchini and tomato into fairly thin slices.

7. Remove baked dough from oven after 7 minutes. Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese on dough, then line up pepperoni slices evenly, then zucchini slices, then spinach leaves, then tomato slices and finally top with the remaining cheese.

8. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes more or less...keep an eye on it. The cheese on top is the best way to layer it, because it will be the best way to tell when it is done.

9. Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan. Cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve!

Tips: For the dough, I buy it at Winco for $1.00 per pound. If it's not on the shelf near the cheese at your grocery store just ask the bakery for a pound of dough for pizza...bread dough works. I keep several pounds frozen in my freezer, so I can make pizza anytime I want. I will take it out of the freezer in the morning and keep it wrapped in plastic and place it in a bowl with a towel over it. This way it rises just enough to make the perfect thickness of crust. The pizza stone I use is from Pampered Chef...I use it for more than just pizza and it is the best one I have ever used.

No comments: